Wednesday 9 July 2014

Meet the people of La Casa de la Ciencia (VI) Iván




Ivan is a face of communication with the public. His phone rings almost every second. He is responsible for coordinating and managing all the visits that are carried out in the Museum. In fact, if some of the Primary school teachers read this profile, he or she may already know the voice of Ivan. "Often teachers ask for me when they come with their class for a visit; having so much talks ends up building a friendship."

The thing he likes the most about his job is to feel that he is contributing something to the society, to the public. “Here come kids, they learn, they have a good time… I like to think that a little part of this anonymous responsibility is mine. ”

His voice and adorable accent makes him perfect for this position. Ivan was born in Venezuela where his Asturian parents emigrated, even though his diction can be confused with the one of Canarians. He is therefore an intellectual (in the best sense of the word) result of the meeting of two cultures, two very different and very brotherly countries.

He studied Journalism in Caracas and came to Salamanca to do the Masters in American literature. "I like journalism, but I'm a frustrated scholar. I think I lack that element of curiosity and boldness characteristic of reporters."

At the moment he is combining his job in the Casa de la Ciencia, he is a PhD candidate in Literature. His thesis is about the work of Argentinian writer and journalist Roberto Arlt. This writer, born into an immigrant, poor and unbalanced family, became the best known columnist in Buenos Aires thanks to his language and manners and traveled to Spain to write his "Spanish Etchings".
 
When I accomplish my dream of having a PhD, I would like to continue learning Portuguese and live for a while in Buenos Aires. You can call me argentinofilo because I love their culture. What I like the most? To cook. Above all, rice in any form. The corn cakes as well are my specialty. I have been tempted to finally make my own bread. To have a bike rides – as a medium between means of transport and pleasure. The Venezualian and Spanish folklore.

Ivan has shared with us a group of very curious music. It is called Serenata Guyanese and its cultural ingredients are many and varied. From the south of Venezuela, Bolivar state and sing in four voices the most picturesque and traditional melodies.

Would you like to discover them with us?


No comments:

Post a Comment